Film Emulation Presets for Darktable
A set of presets designed to emulate some of the most used photo films of all time, build specifically for open-source RAW developer software Darktable. Includes vivid colors of Fuji Velvia, the muted tones of Kodachrome or the classic Ilford b&w films among many others.
These presets are being released free, both as in speech and beer, just scroll down for more details.
Real user samples from Flickr
[alpine-phototile-for-flickr src=”community” tags=”t3mujinpack” imgl=”flickr” style=”floor” row=”4″ size=”240″ num=”20″ shadow=”1″ highlight=”1″ align=”center” max=”100″ nocredit=”1″]
The origin of the presets has been my own workflow, and I’ve using it in my personal and commissioned work for some time, that’s why now I’m also the main tester of it. This is, and will remain, a personal project that’s being shared with a wider audience, so all the feedback is welcome. And because it’s a personal side project is being released for free, although you can donate a beer to keep it going, something I’ll be very, very grateful.
But because it’s a personal project there are constraints that won’t disappear or features I simply don’t care to implement. Because I own cameras of three different brands I chose not to optimize the presets for each brand or model, it would be very time consuming and I opted to have a broader selection of films; nor did I care to test it with many of the commonly used cameras, but I’ll gladly receive your RAW sample along with your XMP sidecar file.
The end goal of these presets is to be as simple as possible by using few Darktable modules, it works solely by manipulating Lab Tone Curves for color manipulation, black & white films rely heavily on Channel Mixer. Since I what I was aiming for was the color profiles of each film, other traits related with processing, lenses and others are unlikely to be implemented, this includes: grain, vignetting, light leaks, cross-processing, etc.
All Supported Films
|Black & White |
AGFA APX 100
AGFA APX 25
Fuji Neopan 1600
Fuji Neopan Acros 100
Ilford Delta 100
Ilford Delta 3200
Ilford Delta 400
Ilford FP4 125
Ilford HP5 Plus 400
Kodak T-Max 3200
Kodak Tri-X 400
|Color Negative |
Agfa Vista 100
Agfa Vista 200
Agfa Vista 400
Fuji Pro 160C
Fuji Pro 400H
Fuji Pro 800Z
Fuji Superia 100
Fuji Superia 1600
Fuji Superia 200
Fuji Superia 400
Fuji Superia 800
Fuji Superia HG 1600
Kodak ColorPlus 200
Kodak Gold 200
Kodak Ektar 100
Kodak Portra 160
Kodak Portra 160 NC
Kodak Portra 160 VC
Kodak Portra 400
Kodak Portra 400 NC
Kodak Portra 400 UC
Kodak Portra 400 VC
Kodak Portra 800
Kodak Ultra Max 400
|Color Slide |
Fuji Astia 100F
Fuji Fortia SP 50
Fuji Provia 100F
Fuji Provia 400F
Fuji Provia 400X
Fuji Sensia 100
Fuji Velvia 100
Fuji Velvia 50
Kodak Ektachrome 100 G
Kodak Ektachrome 100 GX
Kodak Ektachrome 100 VS
Kodak Elite Chrome 400 Kodak
Kodak Kodakchrome 25
Kodak Kodakchrome 64
These presets aren’t optimized to any model and should work with any camera, it assumes some basic adjustments (exposure, white balance, etc.) have already been applied, but has been known to be used with the following cameras:
- Fuji X-T2
- Fuji X-E2
- Fuji X-E3
- Fuji X-T10
- Nikon D300s
- Nikon D7100
- Nikon D800
- Sony RX100 I
You have any issue with your camera model, or just want to add yours to that list? Just open an issue and send your feedback.
Requirements: These presets are for Darktable only! This version has been tested with Darktable 3.0.x , specially the uninstall script.
The release packages come in two flavors, all have the same funcionality but appear in a different structure in the Lighttable and Darkroom modes. You should download the one that suits you the most, between having all styles at once or a tidier interface.
Shows the full, big list without any hierarchy, the way the presets have been show in Darktable until know, ex:
- t3mujinpack – Black and White – Ilford Delta 400
- t3mujinpack – Color Negative – Fuji Pro 160C
- t3mujinpack – Color Negative – Fuji Pro 400H
- t3mujinpack – Color Slide – Kodak Ektachrome 100 GX
Groups presets into three different sections (Color Slide, Color Negative and Black & White), the presets will appear like this in Darktable styles interface:
- t3mujinpack – Black and White
- Ilford Delta 400
- t3mujinpack – Color Negative
- Fuji Pro 160C
- Fuji Pro 400H
- t3mujinpack – Color Slide
- Kodak Ektachrome 100 GX
- Go to Styles box in Lighttable mode.
- Click Import and select all or only the ones you want to install.
It should become available in the styles box or the styles quick access icon in Darkroom mode.
- Close Darktable.
- Open a Terminal window.
- Go to the folder where the styles were extracted.Run the uninstall script (remove_t3mujinpack.sh for Linux, remove_t3mujinpack.bat for Windows)..
- This script will try to locate the Darktable database files at its default location. If, for some reason, those are at a different location you can pass that as a script parameter: remove_t3mujinpack.sh /some/folder/data.db
- A list of installed styles will be shown before deletion.
Styles can also be deleted from Darktable’s Styles box in Lighttable mode.
There is no direct way to upgrade the styles, the solution is to reinstall them.
- Run the Uninstall steps above, it won’t remove the edited images or even delete the keywords associated with the tags.
- Install the styles following the steps from above.
Just apply the selected preset, and you’re ready to go.
By default the basecurve module isn’t disabled when styles are applied, but feel free to disable it. It’s highly recommended to have the White Balance adjusted to a somehow neutral setting (minor tweaks in temperature and tint are ok) and the same goes with exposure or shadows and highlights before applying the style, this is so that the base image is relatively plain and clean to be a good starting point to apply the style and have the expected result; if you use a enabled more extreme custom base curve that’s radically different from the default or have other modules in the pipeline adding contrast, then unexpected results could happen. These styles aren’t meant to be a final result and further adjustments after applying the styles are expected and highly recommended.
- New style: Fuji Fortia SP 50.
- New style: Kodak Ektachrome 100 G.
- New style: Agfa Vista 100.
- New style: Agfa Vista 200.
- New style: Agfa Vista 400.
- New style: Kodak ColorPlus 200.
- New style: Kodak Gold 200.
- New style: Kodak Ultra Max 400.
- Scripts supporting for Darktable 3.0.x database.
- Option for hierarchical view.
- Tweaks in most of existing styles.
- Updated all Kodak Portra NC/VC/UC.
- New uninstaller script for Windows.
- Smaller tweaks on all Fuji Pro.
- Smaller tweaks on Kodak Ektachrome and Ektar.
- Smaller tweaks on Kodak Kodakchrome films.
- Smaller tweaks on Kodak Portra films.
- Smaller tweaks on Fuji Provia films.
- Updated all Fuji Pro and Astia 100F films.
- Updated all Kodak Porta films.
- Updated all Ektachrome and Ektachrome.
- Smaller tweaks on Kodak Kodakchrome films.
- Updated Fuji Pro 400H and 800Z.
- Updated Fuji Provia 100F.
- Updated Kodak Kodachrome 64 and Kodak Kodachrome 200.
- Updated Kodak Ektar 100.
- Fixes in uninstall script: fixed typos and colors, script now more resilient (thanks Marek for the changes).
- Updated Kodak Portra styles (mostly the new ones, the non UC/VC/UC presets).
- Updated Fuji Pro styles (160Z, 400H, 800H).
- Updated Fuji Provia styles.
- Updated Kodak Kodachrome styles.
- Support for Darktable 2.2.
- New style removal script, both for uninstall and upgrade.
- Fix: Velvia 50 wasn’t enabling the module
- Initial release.
- Improvement the current film presets
- Add variatons in some films with more intense or subtle emulation, Portra films are the most like candidate to start on this
- Add new films, don’t have a candidates for now but feel free to add your suggestions
- Send your own feedback!