Film Emulation Presets for Darktable
A set of presets designed to emulate some of the most used photo films of all time, build specifically for open-source RAW developer software Darktable. Includes vivid colors of Fuji Velvia, the muted tones of Kodachrome or the classic Ilford b&w films among many others.
These presets are being released free, both as in speech and beer, just scroll down for more details.
Real user samples from Flickr
Register to download t3mujinpack for Darktable 2 for free and receive all future updates on your email
But if you’re in a hurry you can download my Portra presets, no registration needed.
The origin of the presets has been my own workflow, and I’ve using it in my personal and commissioned work for some time, that’s why now I’m also the main tester of it. This is, and will remain, a personal project that’s being shared with a wider audience, so all the feedback is welcome. And because it’s a personal side project is being released for free, although you can donate a beer to keep it going, something I’ll be very, very grateful.
But because it’s a personal project there are constraints that won’t disappear or features I simply don’t care to implement. Because I own cameras of three different brands I chose not to optimize the presets for each brand or model, it would be very time consuming and I opted to have a broader selection of films; nor did I care to test it with many of the commonly used cameras, but I’ll gladly receive your RAW sample along with your XMP sidecar file.
The end goal of these presets is to be as simple as possible by using few Darktable modules, it works solely by manipulating Lab Tone Curves for color manipulation, black & white films rely heavily on Channel Mixer. Since I what I was aiming for was the color profiles of each film, other traits related with processing, lenses and others are unlikely to be implemented, this includes: grain, vignetting, light leaks, cross-processing, etc.
All Supported Films
Black & White
These presets aren’t camera optimized, but the current version has been tested with the following cameras:
- Fuji X-T2
- Fuji X-E2
- Fuji X-E3
- Fuji X-T10
- Nikon D300s
- Nikon D7100
- Nikon D800
- Sony RX100 I
Requirements: These presets are for Darktable only! This version has been tested with both Darktable 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 versions, specially the uninstall script.
- Go to Styles box in Lighttable mode.
- Click Import and select all or only the ones you want to install.
It should become available in the styles box or the styles quick access icon in Darkroom mode.
- Close Darktable.
- Open a Terminal window.
- Go to the folder where the styles were extracted.
- Run remove_t3mujinpack.sh.
- This script will try to locate the Darktable database files at its default location. If, for some reason, those are at a different location you can pass that as a script parameter: remove_t3mujinpack.sh /some/folder/data.db
- A list of installed styles will be shown before deletion.
Styles can also be deleted from Darktable’s Styles box in Lighttable mode.
There is no direct way to upgrade the styles, the solution is to reinstall them.
- Run the Uninstall steps above, it won’t remove the edited images or even delete the keywords associated with the tags.
- Install the styles following the steps from above.
Just apply the selected preset, and you’re ready to go.
These presets where designed to be used with Darktable’s base curve enabled, this is to try to have a consistent output with different cameras. You can use default base curve for your camera, that’s enabled by default, or you can even fine tune it to have a bit more or less contrast. If you use a custom base curve that’s radically different from the default or have other modules in the pipeline adding contrast, then unexpected results could happen. It’s highly recommended also to have the White Balance set to a neutral temperature before applying it, and the same goes exposure adjustments, so that the base image is relatively plain and clean, although not flat.
- Updated all Fuji Pro and Astia 100F films.
- Updated all Kodak Porta films.
- Updated all Ektachrome and Ektachrome.
- Smaller tweaks on Kodak Kodakchrome films.
- Updated Fuji Pro 400H and 800Z.
- Updated Fuji Provia 100F.
- Updated Kodak Kodachrome 64 and Kodak Kodachrome 200.
- Updated Kodak Ektar 100.
- Fixes in uninstall script: fixed typos and colors, script now more resilient (thanks Marek for the changes).
- Updated Kodak Portra styles (mostly the new ones, the non UC/VC/UC presets).
- Updated Fuji Pro styles (160Z, 400H, 800H).
- Updated Fuji Provia styles.
- Updated Kodak Kodachrome styles.
- Support for Darktable 2.2.
- New style removal script, both for uninstall and upgrade.
- Fix: Velvia 50 wasn’t enabling the module
- Initial release.
- Improvement the current film presets
- Add variatons in some films with more intense or subtle emulation, Portra films are the most like candidate to start on this
- Add new films, don’t have a candidates for now but feel free to add your suggestions
- Send your own feedback!