João Pedro Almeida
Travel and Documentary Photographer
Photography entered my life still as a child, with the first photos being taken with an old Yashica rangefinder (a camera still functional today), and from there it was a slow and steady path until today. Travel eventually became the main drive of my photography, either in remote locations or discovering hidden places in my hometown Lisbon. Often alternating between street or landscape photography, while never fully committing to a specific genre, my main focus in the last years has been exploring and documenting people, places and how they interact with each other and their surroundings, in the form of rituals, traditions and even simple everyday life habits.
Currently based in Lisbon, throughout the years many of my photos have been available to several media outlets, have worked on assigned and sold to private collections around the world. Most of that work is available as stock photography and currently I’m represented by agencies like old prints for private collections around the world, and there’s a wider selection of photos for prints and licensing in the Archives section of this site.
Awards, publications and exhibit
- everydaycovid – author and one of the editors of the project, that gathered several photographers and photojournalists to portray the lock-down and impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, that later was turned into a book.
- Dez viajantes portugueses que queremos seguir (até ao fim do mundo) – Feature at Público newspaper (Portuguese)
- São Tomé – Exhibition dedicated to the lush tropical island of São Tomé.
- Commended in Sony World Photography Awards 2017 in the Open Competition – Nature category.
- Ísland – Exhibition that explores a personal, less crowded and “postcardy” view of Iceland.
- National Geographic Portugal – featured at the Your Shot section with a portrait Cienfuegos market, Cuba
- Four looks on India — Collective exhibit with Ruben Vicente, João Maia and Luís Ferreira, where each photographer shows a personal view of India.
- Finalist of Travel Photographer of the Year 2014 award in the New Talent – Travelogue category.
- People and Portraits of Myanmar – Exhibit with Ruben Vicente dedicated to Myanmar.
- Para lá da superfície – Photo book dedicates to coastal areas, contribution with a set of photos.
- Os Sem Nome – Collective exhibit of 30 Portuguese Flickr photographers.